Plywood as a building material is very widely used due to its many useful properties. It is an economical, factory-produced sheet of wood with precise dimensions that does not warp or crack with changes in atmospheric moisture.
Ply is an engineered wood product made from three or more ‘plies’ or thin sheets of wood. These are glued together to form a thicker, flat sheet. The logs used to make plywood as a building material are prepared by steaming or dipping in hot water.
USES OF PLYWOOD AS A BUILDING MATERIAL
Plywood has a huge range of used within the construction industry. Some of its most common uses are:
• To make light partition or external walls
• To make formwork, or a mould for wet concrete
• To make furniture, especially cupboards, kitchen cabinets, and office tables
• As part of flooring systems
• For packaging
• To make light doors and shutters